Presbyterian history in the Grand Traverse region began in 1838 when the Presbyterian Board of Missions sent Rev. Peter Dougherty to Mackinac Island to assist in the mission which Rev. William Ferry began in 1832. Since that Christian community was already well established, Dougherty traveled down the shore of Lake Michigan and began working among the Native Americans who lived on what is now called Old Mission Peninsula. The mission was established in 1839. In 1852 Dougherty moved the mission to Omena, North of Traverse City. Presbyterian Churches were later founded in Traverse City and Elk Rapids. The Presbyterian Church was later disbanded in 1910, and for 46 years no Presbyterian services were held in Traverse City. In February of 1956, eighteen people met to discuss the possibility of reestablishing a Presbyterian church in Traverse City. That August, our church was chartered with fifty-seven communicants. Today we are a growing, active congregation of over 1200 members.